Monday, January 14, 2013

Luke 1:37-38

Scripture: kjv Luke1:37-38
37 For with God nothing shall be impossible.
38 And Mary said, Behold the handmaid of the Lord; be it unto me according to thy word. And the angel departed from her.

 

Observations:

 

This Gabriel is the same angel who visited Zacharias, and told him that he and his wife would concieve and bare a son, a forerunner to Jesus...John the Baptist. I am Gabriel, that stand in the presence of God. Love how Gabriel boldly shares his credentials with Zacharias. 

 

Zacharias also questioned the angel Gabriel. Whereby shall I know this? for I am an old man, and my wife well stricken in years. Gabriel struck him dumb because of his unbeleife but here when Mary is told that she will also conceive and bare a  Son, she also is fearful and questions. I love how the Bible says Mary cast in her mind what manner of salutation this should be.....and then later she pondered these things in her heart. See Marys pattern of meek consideration instead of vocal disbeleif, or fear? She was quiet, wasnt she? Its not that she didnt wonder or have fears...but it seems like she had self control and wisdom. Knowing when to speak and when to stay quiet. Maybe that is why Gabriel didn't strike her dumb?

 

Application:  Behold the handmaid of the Lord; be it unto me according to thy word. O to have a heart that surrenders quickly and completely like Mary. According to thy Word is a good 4 words to meditate on daily isn't it? According to thy Word. Not according to my desires and feelings, or what the world says, not according to anything other than thy Word.   I am trying to stop feeling so much and start intentionally obeying Gods commands. Let Gods Word dictate my life and home not my feelings. Period. Feelings lie, they change, they try not to offend, they protect our sin, our feelings come out of evil hearts...His Word is sure and right. Living based on how we feel produces all kinds of bad fruit. His Word never lies or changes, it isnt fickle. According to thy Word.


Pray: Behold the handmaid of the Lord; be it unto me according to thy Word. Dear Lord give me this kind of servants heart towards your Word. Mary didnt have 66 books and yet she heard Your Word clearly. God help us to stop taking your Word for granted but to read and say like Mary...At Your Service. According to Thy Word.

No comments:

Post a Comment