Thursday, November 1, 2012

Colossians 3:20-22

Scripture: kjv Colossians 3:20Children, obey your parents in all things: for this is well pleasing unto the Lord. 21Fathers, provoke not your children to anger, lest they be discouraged.22Servants, obey in all things your masters according to the flesh; not with eyeservice, as menpleasers; but in singleness of heart, fearing God:

Observations: I feel the weight of the children obey your parents scripture because it is my responsibility to teach my kids to obey. They arent naturally inclined to obey, so I have to teach them. This is a command to them but really more of a responsibility to me, to make sure they do obey. Note that is says in ALL things. Not some or most things but obey your parents in ALL things. No exceptions.
Fathers provoke not your children to anger. When the Bible is specific like this and names a certain thing to watch out for like provoke not your children to anger it must be because fathers have this tendency to make their kids angry...so beware. Watch out for this inclination. Lest they be discouraged. There is a connection between provoking our kids to anger and them being discouraged. Are my kids discouraged? Perhaps we have provoked them to anger.
Servants obey your master. Of course we dont have servants but I think it applies to employee and employer relationships.
Application: God commands our children to obey us in all things. Its important I teach them this command. I also need to not provoke them to anger. Keep a calm peaceful home where we speak softly and consider one another before ourselves. You first, Ill follow.
John 14:15 If ye love me, keep my commandments. I believe this is how we get our children to obey, by establishing and cultivating deep loving relationship with them. Love first, obedience follows. We obey who we love. If they love us they will keep our commands, they will obey. Jesus asked Peter:do you love Me...feed my sheep. See the order? Love then obedience. We can apply that truth to our children...Do you love me, obey. Love first. Relationship. God doesnt want us to do amazing, over the top, miraculous things for Him, He simply wants us to love and obey. Same with my kids, I dont want their performance I want their hearts.
Pray: God this command for my children to obey is more for me than them since it is my job to teach them the Word. Help me to teach by example that we should obey you. Always.

No comments:

Post a Comment