Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Listening




It is so very hard to engage our children's hearts. Hard for me anyway. Hard to be truly interested in Tonka trucks and dress up dolls. Hard to get up out of myself and my interest and serve my little's with sincere interest and attention.

My 11 year old loves science. This morning while I was boiling water to make his oatmeal he started to explain to me that steam is an invisible gas that turns back into water as it cools... Just between you and me I don't care much about the complexities of steam, however I care deeply about my son and therefore I stopped everything and participated in a long conversation about steam.

I am hoping and praying that if I care about steam when he is 11 he will trust that I care about life choices when he is 16.


Psalm 139:1 O LORD, you have searched me and you know me. 2 You know when I sit and when I rise; you perceive my thoughts from afar. 3 You discern my going out and my lying down; you are familiar with all my ways. 4 Before a word is on my tongue you know it completely, O LORD.





1 comment:

  1. From one homeschooling mom to another: Thank you for that reminder. It's very easy to get caught up on all of the tasks of day to day living and not take enough time to show true interest.

    God bless you.

    ReplyDelete