Integrity,love,service,compassion,wisdom. All of these traits are much more important than math or science and yet there is no character training going on in our public school systems and very little character training going on in most homes today. Prov22:6 Train up a child in the way he should go...
What will come in handier the ability to control ourselves, our lusts and passions through out life or Algebra? Please dont misunderstand, certainly academics are important. Perhaps my sons will attend college and pursue a career in Bio-physical-chemical-engineering. Thats good and that will make a lot of money but if they could be engineers who know how to love and serve that would be better.
1 Cor 12:31 But covet earnestly the best gifts: and yet shew I unto you a more excellent way...
Character is not inherently present within us. No one is born longing to lay down their life. The exact opposite is the case. We are all born totally selfish. It is our goal as a parent to extract that *me* focus out of our children and insert an awareness and even a preference for others.
Romans 12:10Be kindly affectioned one to another with brotherly love; in honour preferring
A couple of practical ways to teach our children to serve.
- Volunteer to deliver Meals on Wheels. The kids do all the work. You simply drive the car.
- Read biographies about people who served and loved others.
- Call, make cards or food for shut-ins or new moms.
- Have alot of children, this builds character wether we like it or not.
- Submit to your husband.
- Dont cater to wants. Stick to practical needs. (Personal note to self....remember this one..you hypocrite).
- Wake up early.
- Read and study the Proverbs. My son..........