Thursday, October 11, 2012

Colossians 2:13-15

Scripture: kjv Colossians2:13 And you, being dead in your sins and the uncircumcision of your flesh, hath he quickened together with him, having forgiven you all trespasses;14 Blotting out the handwriting of ordinances that was against us, which was contrary to us, and took it out of the way, nailing it to his cross;15 And having spoiled principalities and powers, he made a shew of them openly, triumphing over them in it.

Observations: We were dead but Christ made us alive! Quickened!

There it is again, the *with Him* phrase.
  • buried with Him
  • risen with Him
  • quickened with Him

Blotting out the handwriting of ordinances, makes me think of a long list of legalistic rules written by man. Handwritten Rules. Christ nailed those rules to the cross! I know many churches still preach and practice methods, formulas, checklists of do and donts, but Paul is quite clear here that those things were *against us*, *contrary to us*. Rule-keeping has no value in Christs economy. Christ took rules out of the way and nailed those ordinances to His cross! I like the way this passage says  nailing it to  HIS cross. It was His cross. Personal. He personally nailed those rules to His cross. It is all about Christ any way you look at it!

This is the second time in Colossians Paul talks about powers and principalities. Christ shamed them publicly triumphing over them!
Application: I need nothing but Christ. Christ isnt impressed when we impose rules and regulations on ourselves and each other. I cant get holy enough for Him. God doesnt scrutinize me or my sacrifice. God is for God.The ordinances have been nailed to the Cross. When Christ died on the Cross I died with Him, I rose with Him and I am quickened, alive with Him. Its what the Words says, and I believe it!
PRAY: Thank you Lord for loving me and delivering me from thinking I could sacrifice enough to win you. You won me. You died. You rose. You live. I am *with* You. Its all about You, every step of the way. We are made without hands, kept by You. The rules are against us, contrary to us. Its clear Lord, this Word. You took the ordinances and nailed them to the Cross. Please open the eyes of those who think rule keeping has any power.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment