Monday, January 5, 2009

Bible Versions


The Authorized King James Version is an English translation of the Christian Bible begun in 1604 and first published in 1611 by the Church of England.The V in KJV of course stands for *version* because it is just that. A version of the original scriptures. A good reliable version but still a version.


I am not an expert when it comes to varying versions of the Bible but I do find the KJV language to be outdated and very very hard to follow in places. God wants us to read and retain His word. I have loved my KJV and NIV parallelled. I read it in the KJV and use the NIV side as a kind of commentary to help open up those difficult passages. I have heard that the NIV is a *dynamic* translation that means it conveys thought for thought and not word for word. This allows for mens interpretation so I dont read from the NIV alone just use it as a reference.


The ESV is my husbands new favorite Bible and also the one my church is starting to use. My Pastor loves the ESV and highly recommends it as a version that is true to the originals only in modern day language.


The church I received the Holy Ghost in would run around the church holding their Bibles high singing the King James Versions right! So I know this can be a touchy subject.


What version do you use?


No comments:

Post a Comment