Friday, June 5, 2009

Confession

James 5:16Therefore,confess your sins to one another and pray for one another,that you may be healed. The prayer of a righteous person has great power as it is working.
I recently heard a tape of a testimony service from a youth camp where many of the young people stood up and confessed sins. I was shocked at the honesty and even wondered if it was too open. After thinking about these things I can think of nothing bad or unbiblical about sharing our hearts, even the darker aspects.

Confession is a Biblical command, it isn't optional. I am convinced that God wants us to relate not only to Him but each other. It is impossible to have deep meaningful relationships with our brothers and sisters without opening our hearts. God wants us to go beyond dishonest superficial shallow relationship. He wants us to be Him in flesh, to extend His mercy. To seek His counsel and love among His own people. We have the ability to love,extend mercy and even restore each other, not only the ability but the responsibility.

John 20:23 If you forgive the sins of any, they are forgiven them; if you withhold forgiveness from any, it is withheld.

I really think confession is a missing component in our walks today, particularly in some more conservative churches, where much is expected in the way of performance.

Truly we can all extend mercy because to some degree we have all dealt with the same sins.
Confession is good for the soul. Truly it is liberating both to the one who confesses but also to the one who listens. Both walk away feeling like *I am not alone* and it holds one accountable when you know they know...

Gods desire is that the world would recognize us by our love for one another, it is impossible to truly love each other if we are always hiding from each other. Nothing binds a friendship like sharing our hearts. Nothing extracts pride and inserts humility like allowing others to know you have real problems.

Everyone will know that you are my disciples because of your love for each other..John 13:35

Of course we have to use discretion, confessing sin is a bit risky but that is why it produces such enormous fruit, like everything in His Kingdom, true Christian joy and liberty always comes with sacrifice and stepping out in faith.

Jesus was willing to be put to an open shame, His willingness to be humbled and die brought about life. When we allow ourselves to be open we are setting ourselves up for enormous victory.

4 comments:

  1. LOL, true and also the be careful part. haha. My old church did the whole watch night service deal and before communion they would tell people to go make things right with each other. I would have people walk up and apologize for being mad at me or disliking me. LOL. I was like "Oooookey, I had no idea, wonder why???". So yeah confession is good but if it has something to do with a person adn they don't know it, don't enlighten them. Haha

    ReplyDelete
  2. Totally agree Tannco, confession is only good if it doesnt hurt the parties involved.

    I actually had a woman come and apologize to me just like you said about something I wasnt even aware of, then I was stuck with having to deal with feelings of resentment towards her...not productive.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very humbling post. Thanks so much for this

    ReplyDelete
  4. Years ago, shortly after I had given my heart to the Lord, we were in an awesome service one Sunday night and there was a spirit of confession there, for lack of a better way to describe it and I remember so well that three or four of the older, more seasoned saints stood and confessed some things that they were struggling with. It really touched my heart, as a new convert, to see that these people were still human because, as a new convert, I had a tendency to think that everyone was perfect but me. I also observed a beautiful lesson in compassion, forgivenss, renewal and restoration as I saw the family of God come around these dear saints and pray with them, encouraging them.
    As I said, it was thirty-some years ago and I still remember it so vividly. One of those dear saints became and still is one of my dearest friends and mentors.
    It is so necessary for us to be able to be "real" with one another, instead of feeling like we have to be a "tin soldier".
    Thank you so much for this needful, thought-provoking post, GT!! ((HUGS))

    ReplyDelete